- 1Relating to or occurring in the area beyond the line of scrimmage where defenders are relatively scattered: a broken-field runMore example sentences
- On the first drive, a 41-yard broken-field run put the ball at the Penn 29.
- The passage describes the climactic moment in a football game, just as the halfback is breaking away for a long, broken-field run.
- That's a left-wing all-star team, validating Specter's long career as a political broken-field runner.
- 1.1 • informal (Of a movement) with starts, stops, and changes of direction, in the manner of a broken-field ball carrier: a broken-field chaseMore example sentences
- One key arrest comes after a manic broken-field chase through the pushcarts and costermongers of New York's Fulton Fish Market.
- He almost had his helmet ripped from his head at third, and he sent one overzealous fan sprawling during his broken-field run toward the plate.
- He then led police on a nifty broken-field run for several minutes before being cuffed and taken downtown for booking.
More definitions of broken-fieldDefinition of broken-field in:
- The US English dictionary