A large grey Australian crane which has an elaborate courtship display that involves leaping, wing-flapping, and trumpeting.
- Grus rubicundus, family Gruidae
More example sentences
- Favoured by brolgas, sarus cranes and black-necked storks, its lagoons were created from excess irrigation water.
- It's a priceless experience, as is being shown special parts of their land like the ‘Jungle’ - wetlands where flocks of brolgas, jabirus and magpie geese gather - and ‘Paradise’ - where shallow falls rage into an emerald lagoon.
- Many dances mimic the movements and behaviors of animals such as the brolga crane of the northern wetlands.
late 19th century: from Kamilaroi burralga (also found in other Aboriginal languages).
Definition of brolga in:
- The US English dictionary