- A plant of tropical and subtropical America, typically having short stems with rosettes of stiff, spiny leaves. Some kinds are epiphytic and many are cultivated as pot plants.
More example sentences
- Family Bromeliaceae: Bromelia and other genera, and numerous species, including the pineapple and Spanish moss
- Miller also offers a variety of tropical plants, including bromeliads, bougainvillea, citrus, hibiscus, and orchids.
- The plants that he uses include ferns, bromeliads, orchids and palm trees.
- Dry heat, common in most houses during the winter, is fine for cactus and succulents, but it's tough on tropicals such as African violets, bromeliads, and orchids.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Bromelia (named by Linnaeus after Olaf Bromel (1639–1705), Swedish botanist) + -ad1.
More definitions of bromeliadDefinition of bromeliad in:
- The US English dictionary