Definition of bromide in English:
1 Chemistry A compound of bromine with another element or group, especially a salt containing the anion Br− or an organic compound with bromine bonded to an alkyl radical.
- In Friedel-Crafts reactions, alkyl chlorides are more reactive than alkyl bromides and alkyl iodides react only with difficulty.
- Anions like chloride and bromide also adsorb on electrode surfaces while smaller cations like lithium, sodium and potassium are generally too strongly bound to a small number of water molecules to bind directly to the electrode.
- Inorganic anions used as the model anions were sulfate, fluoride, chloride, bromide, nitrite, nitrate, chlorate, iodide, thiocyanate, and perchlorate, used as their sodium salts.
2A trite statement that is intended to soothe or placate: feel-good bromides create the illusion of problem-solving
More example sentences
- This sums up their entire campaign, one of breath-taking arrogance wrapped up in feel-good bromides.
- There are no bromides, no platitudes, no clichés.
- On top of all that detail, we have a hefty helping of cliches and bromides.
2.1 dated A sedative preparation containing potassium bromide.
- Agents include phenobarbital, corticosteroids, isoniazid, iodides and bromides, and vitamins D and B 12.
- Up to his neck in the reputedly healing waters, Daudet read Montaigne; and in private consumed huge amounts of morphine, chloral and bromide in an attempt to palliate his excruciating pains.
- In Dostoevsky's day there were no effective drugs to prevent seizures - perhaps he took bromides.
3A reproduction or piece of typesetting on bromide paper.
- It was then re-typed in the Western People, reproduced in bromide form and placed on a page.
- The process included ‘pasting up’ cut-out parts of bromides which were sensitised sheets of paper bearing text.
- His desk drawers served mainly as a repository for napkins, bromides, and paper clips.
- sense 2.Example sentences
- I know it sounds bromidic, I just hate to see anyone in that situation ended up like mine.
- In the farce, she is the hotel manageress, who wants to get the suite back, as it is pre-booked, and who deals with each crisis with a bromidic utterance typical of the professional hotel servant.
- The Democrats were broadcasting the bromidic message that America needs a change in leadership all week long.
Definition of bromide in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan