Entry from US English dictionary
1Treat with bromine.
- BAN says another solution is for manufacturers to stop using toxic chemicals in their products, such as brominated flame retardants, beryllium alloys, lead-based solders and mercury lamps.
- Heavy metals, lead, mercury, cadmium and brominated flame retardants are all found in computer equipment and remain stable and relatively harmless while the machinery is in use.
- Circuit boards typically contain cadmium, mercury and chromium while the whole package is housed in brominated, flame-retardant plastic.
- Example sentences
- ‘Well,’ said John, making his case, ‘it's inert to bromination!’
- Therefore, bromination of rhodamine derivatives was performed in order to increase the efficiency of the intersystem crossing to the triplet state and consequently to augment the yield of singlet oxygen.
- Simple organohalogens may be produced synthetically from the radical chlorination / bromination of saturated alkanes.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.