noun[mass noun] Medicine
- Abnormal widening of the bronchi or their branches, causing a risk of infection.More example sentences
- Hypersecretion is an important feature in many chronic airway diseases, including COPD, cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis, and acute asthma.
- COPD is a subset of obstructive lung diseases that also includes cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis and asthma.
- Babies with whooping cough can develop pneumonia, bronchiectasis (pockets of infection form in the small airways of the lungs) and/or collapsed lung.
late 19th century: from Greek bronkhia (denoting the branches of the main bronchi) + ektasis 'dilatation'.
More definitions of bronchiectasisDefinition of bronchiectasis in:
- The US English dictionary