A Eurasian speedwell with smooth fleshy leaves and deep blue flowers on long stalks. It grows in wet areas, where the stems take root or float in the water.
- Veronica beccabunga, family Scrophulariaceae
More example sentences
- He treated his scorbutic patients with a mixture of plant and vegetable juices made from water cress, brooklime, scurvy grass, all herbs rich in ascorbic acid.
- In and alongside the stream, a different suite of plants can be found including yellow iris, hemlock water-dropwort, lesser spearwort and brooklime.
- Various other plants which are sometimes referred to as watercress or mixed with it or treated in the same ways include brooklime, Veronica beccabunga.
Middle English broklemok, from brook1 + hleomoce, the name of the plant in Old English.
Definition of brooklime in:
- The US English dictionary