- A parasitic plant which bears tubular flowers on a leafless brown stem. It is attached by its tubers to the roots of the host plant.
More example sentences
- Genus Orobanche, family Orobanchaceae
- The broomrapes (Orobanche spp.) are obligate parasitic weeds that cause severe damage to hosts.
- Likewise, the subtree of broomrapes alone does not differ from that of photosynthetic plants in degree of constraint.
- So far, U.S. sunflower growers have not been plagued by broomrape.
late 16th century: from broom + Latin rapum 'tuber'.
More definitions of broomrapeDefinition of broomrape in:
- The US English dictionary