A large group of algae that are typically olive brown or greenish in colour, including many seaweeds. They contain xanthophyll in addition to chlorophyll.
- Class Phaeophyceae, division Heterokontophyta (also phylum Heterokonta, kingdom Protista); formerly division Phaeophyta
More example sentences
- Some are featureless and probably represent bacterial mats, but a few have a stalk and seem to represent some sort of seaweed-like algae, possibly brown algae (phaeophytes).
- First, although the ‘algae’ are not monophyletic, the red algae, brown algae, etc., are monophyletic groups.
- The largest of the chromists are the Phaeophyta, the brown algae - the largest brown algae may reach over 30 meters in length.
Definition of brown algae in:
- The US English dictionary