A large bear with a coat colour ranging from cream to black, occurring chiefly in forests in Eurasia and North America. It is widely persecuted, and was exterminated in Britain, probably before the 10th century. Compare with grizzly bear.
- Ursus arctos, family Ursidae
More example sentences
- Beavers, black bears, brown bears, harbor seals, moose, sea lions, sea otters, and wolves are among the local mammals.
- Comparing the ancient bear sequences with those of modern bears, the scientists showed that cave bears were more closely related to brown bears than to black bears.
- Smaller than the more common North American brown bear, the black bear may soon be listed as threatened because of the loss of habitat.
Definition of brown bear in:
- The US English dictionary