Definition of brown sauce in English:
1A savoury sauce made with fat and flour cooked to a brown colour.
- Try the sliced trotter in brown sauce or the sliced beef in brown sauce.
- The emphasis is on home-made dishes: corned beef hash with Tracy's own brown sauce; sandwiches with turkey and ham cooked on the premises; soup and freshly-baked bread; quiche and more.
- It was a plate of Icelandic lobster tails and lamb served with a tomato/zucchini salsa, roasted potatoes and some brown sauce.
2A commercially prepared relish containing vinegar and spices.
- Being highly concentrated, Worcester sauce is employed mostly as a condiment or an ingredient rather than as a relish like the brown sauce which it superficially resembles.
- There is apparently a similar line running through the Central Belt, where the preference for vinegar with chips morphs into the craving for brown sauce with them.
- Daily newspapers were on the rack, including the Pattaya Mail, of course, while on the table were the usual condiments, including brown sauce and ketchup.
Definition of brown sauce in:
- US English dictionary