Definition of brown snake in English:
1A fast-moving, aggressive venomous Australian snake, with a variety of colour forms.
- Pseudonaja and other genera, family Elapidae: several species, in particular P. textilis
- For example, Australian snakes such as the taipan and the brown snake use two active enzymes in their venom that are also present in human blood: factor X and factor V.
- He was said to have been bitten more than 10 times by deadly snakes; one bite from a brown snake sent him into unconsciousness before a friend called an ambulance.
- It's like a ‘fish that got away’ story, especially as brown snakes aren't common around here, but I'll go to sleep tonight happy believing that he was 160 centimetres.
2A small, secretive harmless North American snake that is typically brown in colour.
- Storeria dekayi, family Colubridae
- Officers found a common nonpoisonous brown snake, inexplicably covered with jelly.
- Although adaptable to a wide range of habitats, the brown snake prefers moist, open prairies and meadows.
- Brown Snakes reach lengths between 9 and 13 in. (23-33 cm).
Definition of brown snake in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.