noun (plural same)
- The common trout of Europe, especially one of a non-migratory race having dark spotted skin and occurring in small rivers and pools.
More example sentences
- Salmo trutta, family Salmonidae, in particular S. trutta fario.
- So far 25 salmon, as well as two brown trout, one sea trout, three lamprey and two dace, have been trapped.
- I knew there were sea trout, brown trout and Falklands trout in the rivers and lakes and Falkland mullet in the creeks.
- It can be quite rightly argued that all brown trout have sea trout qualities and that all sea trout have brown trout characteristics.
More definitions of brown troutDefinition of brown trout in:
- The US English dictionary