noun (plural same)
The common trout of Europe, especially one of a non-migratory race having dark spotted skin and occurring in small rivers and pools.
- Salmo trutta, family Salmonidae, in particular S. trutta fario.
More example sentences
- So far 25 salmon, as well as two brown trout, one sea trout, three lamprey and two dace, have been trapped.
- I knew there were sea trout, brown trout and Falklands trout in the rivers and lakes and Falkland mullet in the creeks.
- It can be quite rightly argued that all brown trout have sea trout qualities and that all sea trout have brown trout characteristics.
Definition of brown trout in:
- The US English dictionary