- Denoting or relating to urban sites for potential building development that have had previous development on them. Compare with greenfield.More example sentences
- He switched direction in the mid-80s, spotting the potential of brownfield sites for development.
- We would prefer to see in-fill development on brownfield sites rather than building on our precious green belt.
- Government guidance encourages the development of previously used or brownfield land and infill urban sites such as back gardens and parking lots before development on open or greenfield land.
More definitions of brownfieldDefinition of brownfield in:
- The US English dictionary