1The process or result of making something brown, typically by cooking or burning: the browning on the plants
More example sentences
- So we fried eggs using just a wipe of oil to check for sticking and burning, then assessed evenness of browning by cooking pancakes with no oil at all.
- To encourage browning, brush with cooking oil.
- The degree of flesh browning also increased, but was minimal after 1 or 2 weeks of storage, suggesting that changes in free juice occur early in the mealiness process and browning occurs later.
2British Darkened flour, typically with other additives, for colouring gravy.
- An old-fashioned product still sometimes met is gravy browning, a concentrated caramel syrup which can be made at home from sugar and water.
- In contrast, the mixture of gravy browning and ginger beer dripping down the cupboard wall smelled quite tasty.
- I make gravy as per Delia's suggestions and like to add the browning solely to get an attractive dark colour.
1 (also Browning machine gun) A type of water-cooled automatic machine gun.
- From an engineering viewpoint, many of his mechanical solutions have been recognized as precursors to later designs as modern as the BAR, the Browning machine gun, M1 rifle and M1 carbine.
- The Army wanted the aircraft carry the stunning armament of either eight 20 mm cannon or twelve .50-cal Brownings and fly at over 450-mph - truly amazing requirements for the time.
- If you liked the pre-'64 model 70 and the FN Mauser Brownings so much, why didn't you buy them?
1.1 (also Browning automatic) A type of automatic pistol.
- Two masked gunmen fired a total of 14 shots from a .38 revolver and a 9mm Browning automatic pistol, all of which hit Finucane.
- Another of the Palace Barracks guns, a Browning automatic pistol, was used to assassinate Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane.
- GOE operators have a liberal personal weapons policy, so it is not unusual to see team members carrying pistols that range from Brownings to SIG Sauers to Glocks.
Early 20th century: named after John M. Browning (1855–1926), American designer of the weapons.
Words that rhyme with BrowningDowning, drowning
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.