- A name for a bear, especially in children’s fables.More example sentences
- A couple of years ago, the town of Snowmass, Colorado, mandated bear-proof trash containers to discourage curious local bruins, says Colorado Division of Wildlife spokesman Todd Malmsbury.
- While the bruins do indeed lose bone mass during their hibernation, the researchers discovered that bone production remains constant and may even accelerate as the bears wake up and become active again.
- But a few complaints were more serious in nature: six marauding bruins broke into houses this year to raid the cupboards, and three farmers reported livestock kills.
late 15th century: from Dutch bruin (see brown); used as a name for the bear in the 13th-century fable Reynard the Fox.
More definitions of bruinDefinition of bruin in:
- The US English dictionary