1 informal Relating to Birmingham or the dialect of English spoken there.
- 'Proper Brummie: A Dictionary of Birmingham Words and Phrases', compiled by Steve Thorne and Carl Chinn, represents the first serious attempt to comprehensively document the Brummagem dialect.
- The dropped "h" and the excessive conjunctions of Brummagem dialect clash with the conventional prose of Richard's speech.
2 dated Cheap, showy, or counterfeit: a vile Brummagem substitute for the genuine article
More example sentences
- We see it as a Brummagem display (hence the ‘tramp stamp’ moniker) and it usually inspires thoughts we cannot air in polite company.
- Yes you, with your Brummagem display of sardonicism!
- They suffer all the Brummagem sentiments emanating therefrom, and return confirmed in the belief that they have tasted the culture of Einstein and Beethoven.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Brum|ma¦gem
Definition of Brummagem in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.