A large mound-building bird of the megapode family, resembling a turkey and found mainly in New Guinea. Also called scrub-turkey.
- Family Megapodiidae: several genera and species, including Alectura lathami of eastern Australia
More example sentences
- Taxa of Megapapodiidae are commonly referred to as scrub fowl (Macrocephalon, Megapodius, Eulipoa); brush-turkeys (Alectura, Aepypodius, Talegalla), or mallee fowl (Leipoa).
- When bush walking around Sydney can often hear brush-turkeys and get a quick glance of them in the bush.
- My friend commented that she had never seen any sign of a brush-turkey being hit on the roads.
Definition of brush-turkey in:
- The US English dictionary