Definition of buchu in English:
1A heather-like South African shrub which is cultivated for its essential oil and as an ornamental.
- Genus Agathosma (or Barosma) and Diosma, family Rutaceae
- In the Western Cape you have serious problems with the removal of buchu.
- People also hunt for ferns, orchids, arum lilies and buchu.
- Companion plants that look good with the dwarf coral tree include Helichrysum cymosum, buchu, crocosmia and the blombos
1.1 [mass noun] A diuretic drug made from the powdered leaves of the buchu.
- Uva ursi and buchu Leaf are said to have diuretic, antiseptic and astringent properties, while Counchgrass is a soothing diuretic specific to cystitis.
- Uva ursi, juniper berry, and buchu leaf all cause the body to lose water.
- Precaution: If you have kidney problems such as pain while urinating, blood in your urine do not take Buchu.
mid 18th century: from Khoikhoi.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan