Definition of bucket shop in English:
nouninformal , derogatory
1An unauthorized office for speculating in stocks or currency using the funds of unwitting investors.
- The Iowa Electronic Market, which runs a kind of a legal bucket shop in political candidacies, has restructured its presidential futures market.
- In the real world, I think that kind of unauthorized trading would meet the legal definition of a bucket shop.
- What worked at the bucket shops didn't play on Wall Street. Within six months of the start of his legitimate trading career Livermore was wiped out.
2British A travel agency that specializes in providing cheap air tickets.
- ‘I think the time is up for the smaller bucket shop travel agencies,’ says Ross.
- When the holiday to Tunisia fell through, because the bucket shop went bust, Maggie knew that it was probably a good thing; some terrible experience had waited for her there, where she would have got mobbed, literally mobbed.
- If you're looking for the cheapest deal on international flights, then buying your tickets from a bucket shop can save you big.
Definition of bucket shop in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.