Definition of bucket shop in English:
nouninformal , derogatory
1An unauthorized office for speculating in stocks or currency using the funds of unwitting investors.
- The Iowa Electronic Market, which runs a kind of a legal bucket shop in political candidacies, has restructured its presidential futures market.
- In the real world, I think that kind of unauthorized trading would meet the legal definition of a bucket shop.
- What worked at the bucket shops didn't play on Wall Street. Within six months of the start of his legitimate trading career Livermore was wiped out.
2British A travel agency that specializes in providing cheap air tickets.
- ‘I think the time is up for the smaller bucket shop travel agencies,’ says Ross.
- When the holiday to Tunisia fell through, because the bucket shop went bust, Maggie knew that it was probably a good thing; some terrible experience had waited for her there, where she would have got mobbed, literally mobbed.
- If you're looking for the cheapest deal on international flights, then buying your tickets from a bucket shop can save you big.
Definition of bucket shop in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan