Definition of buckjump in English:
(Of a horse) jump vertically with its head lowered, back arched, and legs drawn together in an attempt to unseat its rider.
- After galloping him a mile and a half over that track with me he would start buckjumping when pulling up down the backside and Jim Daily the outrider would sit on his pony every morning and say he has never seen anything like this horse either… I had tears in my eyes as I watched the Belmont from a catwalk between the bays in the Mutuel Dept.
- It could even buckjump once the race has started.
- He fared better than only one horse in the six-horse field, Steel Surfing, who, according to Equibase Co.'s chart ‘propped’ and ‘buckjumped’ and ran in last for the duration of the race.
nounBack to top
An act of buckjumping.
- He won many trophies and ribbons and was a true devotee of Australian buckjump riding.
- He was a fearless buckjump rider and a successful amateur, well known in the racing world, where his livery colours were familiar to race-goers.
- At the Warwick Rodeo in 1938, Jack was 5th in the Australian buckjump championship and won the South-West Queensland championship at Goondiwindi the same year.
- Example sentences
- Jack & his Dad used to do a lot of blacksmithing, and as a young man Jack rode countless buckjumpers in his old poley saddle.
- Their bulls and buckjumpers have made many a cowboy shake in his boots and we meet the legendary ‘Bambi’ who is now retired on the family property, heading up the breeding program of future champion buckers.
- In his early teens he was breaking-in homebred Thoroughbreds for the racetrack and Australian Stock Horses for the polocrosse pitch, as well as getting flung off the odd buckjumper or two at the local rodeo!
Definition of buckjump in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan