- A smoked herring: [mass noun]: sturgeon and buckling served with horseradish sauceMore example sentences
- Buckling, smoked eel and smoked trout are all served with quarters of lemon, brown bread and a root-based sauce.
- You probably won't see such an immense array outside Billingsgate - jellied eels, smoked buckling, herring melts or whitebait to start, Torbay sole, red mullet, hake, six types of fish 'n' chips, or whole grilled Dover sole to follow.
- The full flavour does not develop until the buckling have been packed for 24 hours.
early 20th century: from German Bückling 'bloater'.
More definitions of bucklingDefinition of buckling in:
- The US English dictionary