- A shrub or small tree which typically bears thorns and black berries. Some kinds yield dyes and others have been used medicinally.
More example sentences
- Genus Rhamnus, family Rhamnaceae: several species, including the common buckthorn (R. cathartica), with berries formerly used as a cathartic.
- We do not recommend strong laxatives such as senna or buckthorn for you.
- It requires two species of host plant to complete its life cycle: common buckthorn and soybean.
- These herbal teas typically include senna, aloe, buckthorn and other plant-derived laxatives.
More definitions of buckthornDefinition of buckthorn in:
- The US English dictionary