A widely cultivated shrub with clusters of fragrant lilac, white, or yellow flowers.
- Genus Buddleia (or Buddleja), family Loganiaceae: several species, especially the butterfly bush
More example sentences
- To the right is a wilderness, abandoned to brambles, ground elder, bindweed and buddleia.
- The buddleia is just coming into flower and mid-summer clematis are covered in fat buds that will soon bloom.
- They planted a spring flowering cherry tree, two buddleia bushes and a laurel bush, along with daffodil bulbs.
modern Latin; named in honour of the English botanist Adam Buddle (died 1715), by Linnaeus, at the suggestion of Sir William Houston, who introduced the plant to Europe from South America.
Definition of buddleia in:
- The US English dictionary