nounchiefly North American
- An object of fear or alarm; a bogey: one of the favourite bugaboos, the ticking biological clockMore example sentences
- On the ground at Italy's Bologna International Airport, I ran into the same old bugaboos that make travel back home such a hassle.
- One of the main bugaboos that Americans have about national healthcare is the fear that it means long waiting times for office visits and elective surgery.
- On a related matter, lack of socialization is the bugaboo of the anti-homeschooler.
mid 18th century: probably of Celtic origin and related to Welsh bwci bo 'bogey, the Devil', bwci 'hobgoblin' and Cornish bucca.
More definitions of bugabooDefinition of bugaboo in:
- The US English dictionary