- A bristly plant of the borage family, with bright blue flowers.
More example sentences
- Anchusa and other genera, family Boraginaceae: several species, including the Eurasian A. arvensis and the widespread viper’s bugloss
- Flowers range from peonies, delphiniums, various brooms and gorses, mallows, asters and periwinkle through to buglosses, mandrake, daises, narcissi, irises and orchids.
- Viper's bugloss was introduced from Europe in colonial times.
- Common bugloss has fleshy, hairy leaves that grow smaller in size towards the top of the stem.
late Middle English: from Old French buglosse or Latin buglossus, from Greek bouglōssos 'ox-tongued', from bous 'ox' + glōssa 'tongue'.
More definitions of buglossDefinition of bugloss in:
- The US English dictionary