adjective (bulkier, bulkiest)
- 1Taking up much space; large and unwieldy: a bulky carrier bagMore example sentences
large, big, great, huge, of considerable size, sizeable, substantial, voluminous, immense, enormous, colossal, massive, mammoth, vast, goodly, prodigious, tremendous, gigantic, giant, monumental, stupendous, gargantuan, elephantine, titanic, mountainous, monstrous; mighty, epic, inordinate, unlimited, king-size, king-sized, giant-size, giant-sized, man-size, man-sized, outsize, oversized, overgrown, considerable, major, Brobdingnagian; cumbersome, unmanageable, unmanoeuvrable, unwieldy, awkward, ponderous, heavy, weighty• informal jumbo, whopping, whopping great, thumping, thumping great, hulking, mega, humongous, monster, astronomical, dirty great• dated incommodious
- They were a great innovation, but also bulky, heavy, expensive and in some cases, overly complicated.
- It was bulky, unwieldy and would not go far, given the cost of satellite transponders.
- The unit itself is a little bit bulky but it contains space for two AA batteries and two MMC slots.
- 1.1(Of a person) heavily built: a bulky, overcoat-clad figureMore example sentences
heavily built, stocky, thickset, sturdy, sturdily built, well built, burly, strapping, brawny, muscular, solid, heavy, hefty, meaty; stout, fat, fattish, plump, chubby, portly, rotund, roly-poly, pot-bellied, round, dumpy, chunky, broad in the beam, overweight, obese, fleshy, paunchy, corpulent; buxom, well upholstered, well covered, well padded, of ample proportions, ample, rounded, well rounded; cobbynuggety• rare squabby, pursy, abdominous
- He was bulky and muscular, light brown hair, almost blonde, came down to his shoulders.
- Narrow aisles and small seats into which bulky people must squeeze can make planes uncomfortable and annoy other passengers.
- Andhra wicketkeeper, Prasanna Kumar, belied his bulky figure to bring off fine diving saves.
- More example sentences
- At this time there were only seven korans in existence, all of them written by hand and bound into no less than sixty Hinzibs each and kept wrapped bulkily in many blankets and stored in large calabash bowls far away in Mecca.
- SCS officers noticed a vehicle containing five males, all of whom were bulkily and unseasonally dressed.
- Not that I was particularly overweight, but I felt heavier than I wanted, and being ‘of-a-certain-age’ the weight had gathered itself a little bulkily around my tummy.
- More example sentences
- The first thing I noticed after taking it out of the box was the sheer bulkiness of the TAK68 and how the sink material is made from aluminium but isn't as heavy as it looks.
- It is an excellent replacement for oats in rations needing bulkiness.
- Medium hair that is thick can require some special expertise is achieving the proper balance and style because of the potential for excess bulkiness.