Definition of bull trout in English:
1A North American trout that resembles the Dolly Varden, found in cold rivers and lakes.
- Salvelinus confluentus, family Salmonidae
- In tributaries feeding the lake, brook trout competed with young bull trout for food and in the lake, lake trout preyed on bull trout.
- While rainbows (and native Yellowstone cutthroat trout) are most susceptible to fatal whirling disease infection, brown trout and Montana's native westslope cutthroat trout, bull trout, and Arctic grayling are less so.
- Co-occurrence of Dolly Varden and bull trout in the same drainages, as well as strict sympatry, has been noted in northwestern British Columbia.
1.1British A sea trout.
- The bull-trout often runs up to a far greater size, and fish of above 20 and even up to 30 lb are not very uncommon.
- Bull trout are fish which never get past the estuary.
- The Bull Trout has fin rays the same as those of the Sea Trout, and like it, varies so much that the only external difference seems to be in the colour of the sides, which are brownish instead of silvery.
Definition of bull trout in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.