Definition of bullfinch in English:
1A stocky Eurasian finch with a short, thick bill, typically having grey or pinkish plumage, dark wings, and a white rump.
- Genus Pyrrhula, family Fringillidae: several species, in particular the common P. pyrrhula, the male of which has a pink breast
- Nearby, the rough grass and scrub contain large stands of teasels and thistles, which provide seeds for finches - goldfinch, chaffinch, bullfinch, brambling and siskin are frequent winter visitors.
- Every month, RSPCA inspectors in Rochdale receive three or four reports of greenfinches, bullfinches, linnets and goldfinches being trapped and caged before being sold to breeders.
- Other species in danger are the brown hare, skylark, linnet, reed bunting, tree sparrow, grey partridge, bullfinch, song thrush and grass-wrack pondweed.
2A Caribbean songbird of the bunting family, resembling the Old World bullfinch.
- Be on the lookout for Caribbean dove, West Indian woodpecker, Cuban bullfinch, and smooth-billed ani.
- Such riches are not without robbers, and we observed male purple-throats defending their patches, repelling other purple-throats as well as Saint Lucia orioles and Lesser Antillean bullfinches.
- Birdlife includes the pearly-eyed thrasher (common here), and the Antillian Bullfinch (bullfinches are found on several islands and appear to be the closest relatives of the Galapagos finches - go figure!).
Words that rhyme with bullfinchgoldfinch
Definition of bullfinch in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan