Definition of bullfinch in English:
1A stocky Eurasian finch with a short, thick bill, typically having grey or pinkish plumage, dark wings, and a white rump.
- Genus Pyrrhula, family Fringillidae: several species, in particular the common P. pyrrhula, the male of which has a pink breast
- Nearby, the rough grass and scrub contain large stands of teasels and thistles, which provide seeds for finches - goldfinch, chaffinch, bullfinch, brambling and siskin are frequent winter visitors.
- Every month, RSPCA inspectors in Rochdale receive three or four reports of greenfinches, bullfinches, linnets and goldfinches being trapped and caged before being sold to breeders.
- Other species in danger are the brown hare, skylark, linnet, reed bunting, tree sparrow, grey partridge, bullfinch, song thrush and grass-wrack pondweed.
2A Caribbean songbird of the bunting family, resembling the Old World bullfinch.
- Be on the lookout for Caribbean dove, West Indian woodpecker, Cuban bullfinch, and smooth-billed ani.
- Such riches are not without robbers, and we observed male purple-throats defending their patches, repelling other purple-throats as well as Saint Lucia orioles and Lesser Antillean bullfinches.
- Birdlife includes the pearly-eyed thrasher (common here), and the Antillian Bullfinch (bullfinches are found on several islands and appear to be the closest relatives of the Galapagos finches - go figure!).
Words that rhyme with bullfinchgoldfinch
Definition of bullfinch in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.