A very large frog which has a deep booming croak and is often a predator of smaller vertebrates.
- Genera Rana and Pyxicephalus, family Ranidae: the North American bullfrog (R. catesbiana), the Asian bullfrog (R. tigrina), and the African bullfrog (P. adspersus)
More example sentences
- In their native habitat, predators such as large water snakes, alligators, and snapping turtles keep adult bullfrogs in check, while fish slurp tadpoles.
- In southern Arizona the most common vertebrates found in bullfrogs are other bullfrogs, Schwalbe said.
- The lake behind the house was filled with tree frogs and bullfrogs and cicadas and crickets.
Definition of bullfrog in:
- The US English dictionary