Definition of bullhead in English:
1A small mainly freshwater Eurasian fish of the sculpin family, with a broad flattened head and spiny fins.
- Genera Cottus and Taurulus, family Cottidae: three species
- Johansson and Englund studied a waiting game between bullheads (Cottus gobio; a predatory fish) and case-making caddis fly larvae.
- Hundreds of bullheads and stoneloach, 49 trout and one eel were among the fish killed in Lockholme Beck, a tributary of Scandal Beck, at Ravenstonedale, near Kirkby Stephen.
- Other species caught included a handful of pike up to about five pounds in weight and a single chub, plus minnows and bullheads too numerous to count.
2 (also bullhead catfish) An American freshwater catfish.
- Genus Ictalurus, family Ictaluridae: several species
- In Florida, the diet was comprised mainly of fishes, with gizzard shad, bullhead catfish, and small bluegill particularly common.
- In isolated enterocytes of black bullhead catfish, for instance, GLP - 1 application leads to substantial and dose-dependent increases in the capacity for glucose transport, as does exposure of the cells to glucagon.
- They are usually too soft to withstand the attentions of small fish such as roach and small bream, as well as crayfish and the bullhead catfish.
Definition of bullhead in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan