Definition of bullhead in English:
1A small mainly freshwater Eurasian fish of the sculpin family, with a broad flattened head and spiny fins.
- Genera Cottus and Taurulus, family Cottidae: three species
- Johansson and Englund studied a waiting game between bullheads (Cottus gobio; a predatory fish) and case-making caddis fly larvae.
- Hundreds of bullheads and stoneloach, 49 trout and one eel were among the fish killed in Lockholme Beck, a tributary of Scandal Beck, at Ravenstonedale, near Kirkby Stephen.
- Other species caught included a handful of pike up to about five pounds in weight and a single chub, plus minnows and bullheads too numerous to count.
2 (also bullhead catfish) An American freshwater catfish.
- Genus Ictalurus, family Ictaluridae: several species
- In Florida, the diet was comprised mainly of fishes, with gizzard shad, bullhead catfish, and small bluegill particularly common.
- In isolated enterocytes of black bullhead catfish, for instance, GLP - 1 application leads to substantial and dose-dependent increases in the capacity for glucose transport, as does exposure of the cells to glucagon.
- They are usually too soft to withstand the attentions of small fish such as roach and small bream, as well as crayfish and the bullhead catfish.
Definition of bullhead in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.