Definition of bullpen in English:
nounchiefly North American
1.1An exercise area for baseball pitchers.
- Both bullpens occupy the outfield foul ground, meaning there are mounds and usually players in the way.
- Trying to cushion his landing, he grabbed the railing to brace himself before tumbling into the bullpen area.
- At the time, the Indians used an automobile to transport pitchers from the bullpen to the mound.
1.2The relief pitchers of a baseball team.
- Suffice it to say that there are a lot of frustrated fans pulling their hair out over these two teams' respective bullpens.
- He might be a nice fit in the bullpen given the team's need for left-handed relief help.
- The Raiders' stable of running backs is much like a baseball team's bullpen.
1.4A large cell in which prisoners are held before a court hearing.
- There was a detective posing as a prisoner in the bullpen watching and listening to everything they said and did.
- On the 2nd of January I was called up at 8:00 a.m. I got processed and placed in the bullpen with 10 other prisoners.
- The prisoners are directed to a bench in a bullpen down the hall, where they stand as they're told.
Words that rhyme with bullpenpigpen • fountain pen
Definition of bullpen in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.