noun[in singular] • informal , chiefly North American
- 1A false charge, typically one leading to imprisonment.More example sentences
- I knew they were getting a bum rap, but they had no defenders that day.
- Lay, Skilling, and Fastow, as well as the folks at Andersen, have gotten a bum rap.
- Speaking of bum rap, the Seminole County judge, they ranted to recuse her.
- 1.1An unfair judgement on someone or something: the industry often gets a bum rap for being dishonestMore example sentences
- Now, why does it get - I hate to get off on this tangent - but just why does Scientology get bum raps so much?
- He's taken nothing but bum raps on every decision he's made about Vietnam.
- You know, it's a great way to communicate, especially instrumental music, which gets a bum rap.
More definitions of bum rapDefinition of bum rap in:
- The US English dictionary