Definition of bum rap in English:
noun[in singular] informal , chiefly North American
1A false charge, typically one leading to imprisonment.
- I knew they were getting a bum rap, but they had no defenders that day.
- Lay, Skilling, and Fastow, as well as the folks at Andersen, have gotten a bum rap.
- Speaking of bum rap, the Seminole County judge, they ranted to recuse her.
1.1An unfair judgement on someone or something: the industry often gets a bum rap for being dishonest
More example sentences
- Now, why does it get - I hate to get off on this tangent - but just why does Scientology get bum raps so much?
- He's taken nothing but bum raps on every decision he's made about Vietnam.
- You know, it's a great way to communicate, especially instrumental music, which gets a bum rap.
Definition of bum rap in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan