noun[in singular] informal, chiefly North American
1A false charge, typically one leading to imprisonment.
- I knew they were getting a bum rap, but they had no defenders that day.
- Lay, Skilling, and Fastow, as well as the folks at Andersen, have gotten a bum rap.
- Speaking of bum rap, the Seminole County judge, they ranted to recuse her.
1.1An unfair judgement on someone or something: the industry often gets a bum rap for being dishonest
More example sentences
- Now, why does it get - I hate to get off on this tangent - but just why does Scientology get bum raps so much?
- He's taken nothing but bum raps on every decision he's made about Vietnam.
- You know, it's a great way to communicate, especially instrumental music, which gets a bum rap.
Definition of bum rap in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.