A large hairy social bee which flies with a loud hum, living in small colonies in holes underground. Also called humble-bee.
- Genus Bombus, family Apidae: many species
More example sentences
- The mites don't affect other bee pollinators, such as bumblebees and leaf-cutting bees.
- It lunges at anything small enough to eat that passes in front of its nose, mostly grasshoppers, but also bumblebees, moths, and sometimes its own young.
- Then they waited to see which shape - hypertubular or flared - was more attractive to bumblebees and ants.
Definition of bumblebee in:
- The US English dictionary