noun (plural same)
A small elongated fish of southern Asian coasts which is dried and used as food. Also called Bombay duck.
- Harpodon nehereus, family Harpadontidae
More example sentences
- Under normal cooking conditions the fresh bummalo fish is almost rendered to a pulp (bones and all).
- Traditionally Bombay Duck is prepared by sun drying the bummalo fish on the beach in the open air, then deep frying it.
- One imagines, therefore, that a cosmopolitan Chinese duck might not know what it is called, just as a bummalo might wonder why it is called a duck at all.
late 17th century: perhaps from Marathi bombīl.
Definition of bummalo in:
- The US English dictionary