Irritatingly self-assertive: an impossibly bumptious and opinionated ass
More example sentences
- This bumptious charlatan then presumes to lecture others on issues of morality and governance.
- When the bill arrived at one table of four, one particularly bumptious oaf grabbed it, held it aloft, and started braying to his companions: ‘Guess how much!’
- Can I say that about content on my own site without sounding bumptious?
self-important, conceited, arrogant, self-assertive, full of oneself, puffed up, swollen-headed, pompous, overbearing, (self-)opinionated, cocky, swaggering, strutting, presumptuous, forward, imperious, domineering, pontificating, sententious, grandiose, affected, stiff, vain, haughty, overweening, proud, egotistic, egotistical;
supercilious, condescending, patronizing
- Example sentences
- They disported themselves bumptiously, like they were aces.
- They also acted their parts as classically as the admirable comedians interfered bumptiously with all the sobriety, and Phillip Addis must be commended for his singing as well.
- I do not think that ever again has that hopeful, almost bumptiously hopeful, atmosphere reappeared in this country.
- Example sentences
- Churchill was a survivor from that earlier age of adventure who never fossilised, and what he breathed over his comrades - bumptiousness, energy, sometimes alcohol, sometimes deathless words - was always charged with life.
- Englishmen, however, increasingly viewed the rapidly developing ‘Great Republic of the West’ with the pride of a parent mixed with annoyance at the adolescent's bumptiousness.
- His letters display both the bumptiousness and self-integrity which got him kicked out of Cuba and Prague.
Early 19th century: humorously from bump, on the pattern of fractious.
Words that rhyme with bumptiousscrumptious
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: bump|tious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.