noun[mass noun] North American
A grass that grows in clumps.
- Schizachyrium and other genera, family Gramineae: several species, especially S. scoparium, used for grazing and in erosion control, especially on the Great Plains
More example sentences
- Think of the two halves of Iron Creek: on the desiccated west side grow sagebrush and prickly pear, on the well-managed east side grow prairie June Grass, needle and thread, western wheatgrass, blue bunch grass, and many other species.
- Perennial ryegrass is a bunch grass suitable for hay, silage, or pasture.
- Control of a non-native plant, the sandbur weed, has been very effective in restoring the duck's nesting habitat, which includes native bunch grass.
Definition of bunch grass in:
- The US English dictionary