A North American oak with large fringed acorn cups and timber that was formerly important in shipbuilding.
- Quercus macrocarpa, family Fagaceae
More example sentences
- I want to collect the large acorns from a bur oak near my home.
- Because they are rich in carbohydrates and fats, the bur oak's acorns are the number one ‘fruit’ consumed by wildlife.
- But in this early stage of the 21st century, the bur oak still serves important ecological needs.
More definitions of bur oakDefinition of bur oak in:
- The US English dictionary