Definition of burg in English:
1An ancient or medieval fortress or walled town.
- Archeologists & geologists now believe the ancient burgs of Sodom & Gomorrah were destroyed by earthquake-induced fires - and not, as science has long held, by the wrath of an angry god.
- Kate looked once more at the dead soldiers, at the burg wall beyond, and sorrowfully turned to follow.
- The Old English (Anglo-Saxon) terms burg, burh, and byrig were used originally for fortified places, including villages and royal halls.
2North American informal A town or city.
- From Shreveport to Ferriday and all points in between, along the backwater burgs and the big city haunts, the myth of the Big Easy is examined in this exhaustive overview.
- For two hours or so, 17-year-olds become as important as city council members in burgs like Mechanicsburg, Pa.
- About a dozen baseball-themed museums beckon visitors to big-league cities and out-of-the-way burgs.
Definition of burg in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan