- 1North American A stew or thick soup, typically one served at an outdoor meal.More example sentences
- Among our fans, he is as popular as burgoo and as recognizable as the Keeneland logo.
- Mutton gives the burgoo the same oomph that squirrel and other wild game formerly provided.
- Legend has it that burgoo can be kept going for months and any kind of meat from squirrel, rabbit, venison, and bear can be used.
- 2chiefly Nautical A thick porridge.More example sentences
- Me mam once said that burgoo (porridge) will "put a skin on your belly like velvet."
- In the British Royal Navy, Burgoo refers to a thick oatmeal gruel or porridge.
- Burgoo was originally a thin gruel or porridge made by sailors in the 17th century.
from Arabic burġul (see burghul).
More definitions of burgooDefinition of burgoo in:
- The US English dictionary