Definition of burin in English:
1A handheld steel tool used for engraving in metal or wood.
- When Bellori chose portraits for his Lives, by a still unidentified artist, he or his amanuensis decided to include such props as a book for Nicolas Poussin and a burin for Agostino Carracci.
- He wields the knife much as the engraver guides his burin over the plate… Marsyas is… a martyr for art.
- By manipulating the plate with his left hand in harmony with the motions of the burin, the engraver can facilitate the direction of the lines, as well as steadying the plate.
1.1 Archaeology A flint tool with a chisel point.
- This will hold burins and small denticulate flints.
- Stone tools include delicately made blades, microburins, burins, scrapers, and adzes.
- These tools can be made on spans derived from burin blows or may occur on the ends of complete blades or blade segments.
Words that rhyme with burinurine
Definition of burin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan