Definition of burly in English:
adjective (burlier, burliest)
(Of a person) large and strong; heavily built: I saw a burly figure approaching a big, burly man
More example sentences
- In the next-door compound, a burly man was whacking a skinny boy with a thick stick.
- She had been clamped by the time she got outside, and two burly men demanded £125 to have her car released.
- Blanche looked at him, a big burly man with an abdomen that was bulging over his belt which seemed much too tight for him.
strapping, well built, sturdy, sturdily built, powerfully built, broad-shouldered, brawny, strong, muscular, muscly, well muscled, athletic, thickset, big, hefty, bulky, robust, rugged, stocky, lusty, Herculean, vigorous
North American informal buff
US informal jacked
literary stalwart, thewy, stark
- Example sentences
- Aaron could only look back at the familiar silvery eyes that had softened, despite the overbearing burliness of the body beneath them, and try and read them.
- Not an easy thing to do with such an ode to burliness, natch.
- An odd burliness possessed the feminine body frame as it strode through the student sleeping quarters on silent feet.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan