- 1On fire: a burning buildingMore example sentences
- He was in a burning building, the fire was below him and it was a long way down to get out.
- He was illuminated by the fire of the burning building, and he could feel all of their eyes on him.
- She looked over toward the living room and saw the soft flickering light from a burning fire.
- 1.1Very hot or bright: the burning midday sunMore example sentences
extremely hot, red-hot, unbearably hot, baking (hot), blazing (hot), flaming, fiery, blistering, scorching, searing, sweltering, torrid, tropical, like an oven, like a furnace, like a blowtorch; parching, withering; North American broiling
- Many feared that the soles of their standard issue boots would tend to melt on the burning desert sands.
- Theo and I climbed and scrambled until midday under a burning sun.
- It was malicious, horrible, with two small red eyes as bright as points of burning coal.
- 1.2Very keenly or deeply felt; intense: he had a burning ambition to climb to the upper reaches of managementMore example sentences
intense, passionate, deep-seated, profound, wholehearted, strong, powerful, forceful, vigorous, ardent, urgent, fervent, fierce, earnest, eager, keen, enthusiastic, zealous, fanatical, frantic, consuming, extreme, acute, raging, blazing, uncontrollable
- He said he hopes to make a comfortable living from acting - that's his burning ambition.
- It was always her burning ambition to see her mother's name cleared.
- Malquin shook on his knees, the new wound only adding to the burning fires of pain inside of him.
- 1.3Of urgent interest and importance; exciting or calling for debate: pension reform is still a burning issue the burning question of independenceMore example sentences
- A pump operator from the Water Board said the meeting was very important and a burning issue.
- The Government's arson control forum is dishing up £133,000 to tackle the burning issue.
- The golf lived up to all you would expect and the burning question was just who would lift the Captain's prize?
- More example sentences
- The two seem to merge, briefly and burningly, in the poem ‘Max,’ in which the speaker mourns all that she has lost, both personal and public.
- There are few things I definitely, absolutely, burningly desire to own.
- Moreover, Thomas Carlyle and Satie's mother were both Scottish, not English, and the burningly radical Carlyle was not exactly ‘a conservative thinker’.