Definition of burnish in English:
verb[with object] (usually as adjective burnished)
1Polish (something, especially metal) by rubbing: highly burnished armour
More example sentences
- His armor, once immaculately burnished gold, was now tarnished and dented in a dozen locations.
- Sunlight tracked a path of sparkling white highlights toward the skyline, a light as harsh as if it were reflecting off burnished metal.
- On shelves and bookcases around the flat I could see antique spanners, old sextants, shiny brass things, burnished steel telescopes.
1.1Enhance or improve: a man who took advantage of any opportunity to burnish his image
More example sentences
- Bonds hasn't exactly burnished his image, either.
- They have thought constantly about each other, but will the real person live up to the idealized image that was burnished into their minds for ten years?
- It not only burnished the family image but was also his one surpassing business triumph.
noun[in singular] Back to top
The shine on a highly polished surface.
- She wiped them off and underneath the furry tendrils of dust, the burnish of the old polish still gleamed.
- By the time Israel Zangwill's play of that name was published in 1908, the ‘melting pot’ had acquired all the burnish of an American ideal.
- And beyond the glitter of opulence, it must also glow with the burnish of remembrance, light up with the luster of nostalgia.
Middle English: from Old French burniss-, lengthened stem of burnir, variant of brunir 'make brown', from brun 'brown'.
- Example sentences
- Finally, burnishing and polishing of the wood is carried out with burnishers and abrasives of varying texture and refinement.
- With these first impressions, I work back into the plate with a scraper, burnisher and emery paper to enhance the lights and accent the motif.
- For instance, a manufacturer may recommend that its floor covering be maintained with a high-speed burnisher.
Words that rhyme with burnishfurnish
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia