- A moustache in combination with whiskers on the cheeks but no beard on the chin.More example sentences
- But as the memory of General Burnside faded, the style became known as simply ‘burnsides,’ and soon an interesting linguistic flip-flop occurred.
- ‘I sport no such flaming burnsides,’ the ingrate is alleged to have shrieked.
- The facial hair term "sideburns" is a variant of "burnsides," named for U.S. Army Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside, who wore such facial whisker adornment.
late 19th century: named after General Ambrose Burnside (1824–81), American army officer.
More definitions of burnsideDefinition of burnside in:
- The US English dictionary