1An offering burnt on an altar as a religious sacrifice.
- Juxtaposed with the burnt offerings and other sacrifices to God is a moral code of conduct - a code which God expects us to carry out in return for a life of freedom and glory.
- This man says, you foolish people, are you going back to your burnt offerings and sacrifices?
- Once he arrives there, he must offer Isaac as a burnt offering upon the mountain.
2 humorous An overcooked or charred meal or item of food.
- But this year, instead of just throwing those snags on the grill and serving them up as a burnt offering, why not try some Sausagami!
- It all started when 3 good friends from Western Massachusetts, united in their love for authentic barbecue, dressed as monks and presented ‘Burnt Offerings’.
- He cooked the steak on the barbie while I did the veg and made a quick pepper ... Sorry to hear about the burnt offerings.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: burnt of¦fer|ing
Definition of burnt offering in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.