Definition of burnt offering in English:
1An offering burnt on an altar as a religious sacrifice.
- Juxtaposed with the burnt offerings and other sacrifices to God is a moral code of conduct - a code which God expects us to carry out in return for a life of freedom and glory.
- This man says, you foolish people, are you going back to your burnt offerings and sacrifices?
- Once he arrives there, he must offer Isaac as a burnt offering upon the mountain.
2 humorous An overcooked or charred meal or item of food.
- But this year, instead of just throwing those snags on the grill and serving them up as a burnt offering, why not try some Sausagami!
- It all started when 3 good friends from Western Massachusetts, united in their love for authentic barbecue, dressed as monks and presented ‘Burnt Offerings’.
- He cooked the steak on the barbie while I did the veg and made a quick pepper ... Sorry to hear about the burnt offerings.
Definition of burnt offering in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia