noun (plural bursae ˈbəːsiː or bursas)Anatomy
A fluid-filled sac or sac-like cavity, especially one countering friction at a joint.
- Another slip may attach to the synovial bursa forming a tensor bursae mucosae tendinum.
- The psoas bursa communicates with the hip joint in the adult in approximately 20% of the population.
- Other locations include the ulnar aspects of the forearm, olecranon, and prepatellar bursae, Achilles tendons, and hands.
- Example sentences
- The rotator cuff was evaluated from both the articular and bursal surfaces.
- In an occasional case, one may be able to aspirate bursal fluid from the bursa itself before injection of corticosteroid.
- The physical examination should include a careful assessment of the affected joints, surrounding soft tissue and bursal areas.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan