Definition of burthen in English:
Archaic form of burden.
- As a committee of Philadelphia officials noted with admiration, Baltimore was able to ‘derive an income from that class who are always the greatest burthen.’
- Maggie is conscious of her uniqueness in this regard: she thinks it is ‘part of the hardship of her life that there was laid upon her the burthen of larger wants than others seemed to feel’.
- As far as it has prevailed, it has been a burthen upon the empire. […]
- Example sentences
- Behold now the third time I am ready to come to you and I will not be burthensome unto you.
- War, in its best estate, never fails to impose upon the people the most burthensome taxes, and personal sufferings.
- The security must not exceed what is due from the debtor, nor be contracted under conditions more burthensome.
Definition of burthen in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan