Archaic form of burden.
More example sentences
- As a committee of Philadelphia officials noted with admiration, Baltimore was able to ‘derive an income from that class who are always the greatest burthen.’
- Maggie is conscious of her uniqueness in this regard: she thinks it is ‘part of the hardship of her life that there was laid upon her the burthen of larger wants than others seemed to feel’.
- As far as it has prevailed, it has been a burthen upon the empire. […]
- More example sentences
- Behold now the third time I am ready to come to you and I will not be burthensome unto you.
- War, in its best estate, never fails to impose upon the people the most burthensome taxes, and personal sufferings.
- The security must not exceed what is due from the debtor, nor be contracted under conditions more burthensome.
Definition of burthen in:
- The US English dictionary