- An insect related to the grasshoppers, with very long antennae and a mainly carnivorous diet. Many kinds live among shrubby vegetation, active and singing mainly at dusk and in the night. Formerly called long-horned grasshopper.
More example sentences
- Family Tettigoniidae: many genera
- An astonishing variety of other creatures - a lizard, a snail, a tree frog, a moth, a bush cricket, as well as grasshoppers, cicadas, and wasps - are depicted in and around the flora.
- Ranft was startled to discover that he had pitched his tent in an ultrasonically noisy spot, where a bush cricket blasted away at high frequencies.
- Foulshaw boasts a huge variety of plants and animals, including the cranberry, bog rosemary, heath butterfly and bog bush cricket.