Definition of bush league in English:
A minor league of a professional sport, especially baseball.
- What's the good of looking over a bush league outfit?
- The peeling pastel-colored grandstand holds some 3,000 people, but the plant is less imposing than even a bush league track in the United States.
- I once played in a bush league in South Trinidad where good batsmen had to ensure that they were never hit on the pads.
adjectiveBack to top
(bush-league) informal Of mediocre quality; second-rate.
- One, who asked for anonymity, called it ‘brazenly absurd,’ and added that it was ‘a typical bush-league move.’
- It costs nothing to read this public display of stupidity that gives our country a bush league image.
- Let's be honest: the officiating in that game was bush; bush league.
- Example sentences
- But these shake-down artists are bush-leaguers compared to the all-time King of the Shake-Down.
- Bakula's success at turning around the hapless squad of bush-leaguers and has-beens earns them a game against the big-league club and its arrogant skipper.
- This has allowed the Colorado Rockies’ decent sluggers to become titans, while reducing dominant pitchers to bush-leaguers.
Definition of bush league in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan